Leh – Thiksey – Nubra Valley – Chamba
Early in the morning arrive to Leh. You will meet our tour representative who will assist with transfer to the Chamba Camp in Thiksey. Upon reaching get welcomed in traditional Ladakhi hospitality. Check-in to your luxury tent after completing all formalities. Enjoy the amenities of the well-furnished tents enjoy the serene setting of the surroundings of the campsite.
- Rest of the day is free. Relax in the campsite and do not exert yourself much. Acclimatize to the high-altitude and low amount of oxygen. After some rest, meet the excursion specialist at Chamba camp, Thiksey. The specialist will discuss with you the itinerary suggested. You will get assistance with advice for your tour. If it suits your interests, choices and leisure, you can also get changes made to your itinerary.
- In the evening, enjoy a leisurely stroll through the blessed hamlet of Thiksey. Here you can engage with the local community, understand their pastoral lifestyle and immerse in the surrounding tranquility.
- Overnight stay in the luxury camp.
Start the day with a relaxed breakfast. Enjoy the environs of the campsite. The charming sights of Ladakh keep you hooked while also the tents take you far away from the world in a very cocoon of bliss. Enjoy the view of alfalfa pastures, swaying willow trees and the rustling poplar trees. The view is itself enough to soothe your senses and lull you into feelings that you have never felt before. On the invigorating walk in the vicinity learn about ancient knowledge of medicinal herbs, agricultural practices as well as life on the path of religion in the nunnery.
- Get back to the camp for a delicious lunch. After filling in your bellies with hearty dishes of the land proceed for a visit to the revered Matho Monastery. Nestled on the entry of the deep gorge formed over the centuries by the River Indus and Zanskar River in the Zanskar Mountain Range of the Himalayas, the monastery dates back to the early 15th century. The monastery belonging to the Sakya order by Lama Dunpa Dorje is noted for its six-hundred-year-old thangkas. An interesting fact about the ancient Gompa is that the local women are responsible for the conservation project undertaken by local women along with heritage lovers from around the globe.
- After a tour of the monastery, proceed to Leh. The capital city of the Ladakh region, Leh City represent mini-Tibet and is often known by the same name. The Leh City Heritage walk takes you on an experience of the olden days. Under the gaze of the imposing 17th century nine-storied Leh City Palace, the labyrinth of by-lanes is quite a treasure to unravel.
- Watch the fascinating architecture inspired from Tibet in the Old Town. Proceed to the lively markets displaying colorful wares traded in the markets that include everything from the daily-needed rations to locally-spun woolen clothing, rugs, yak fur as well as ceremonial items unique to Ladakh. For some tokens of remembrance of the fascinating holiday in Ladakh opt to buy Pashmina shawls, stoles to Tibetan handicraft items as well as traditional Ladakhi jewelry set with turquoise, jade and emerald.
- The city walk ends at the Chubi village. Meet your vehicle for pick you up. Next proceed to Shanti Stupa. The white-domed Buddhist gompa is perched upon a great vantage point over Leh with spectacular views. Feel serenity in all your senses as the pagoda stands as an icon of peace and tranquility.
- Later, get back to the campsite for overnight stay.
Start the day with fresh tea or coffee. Later get ready for the experience of the two Paths to Nirvana. First stop of the day is Thiksey monastery. The ancient Gompa enjoys a beautiful setting about a kilometer from your camp. This beautiful monastery overlooks the spectacular panorama of Leh City. The highlight is the two-storey statue of the Maitreya Buddha seated on a lotus. At the monastery, participate in the Buddhist Morning Prayer ceremony at sunrise. Attain spiritual bliss like never before during the rituals.
- Next, proceed on a guided tour of the monastery. Walk through the beautiful prayer rooms which has treasures of many handwritten and painted books. Also, pray at the holy temple dedicated to goddess Tara with her 21 images placed in glass-covered wooden shelves. In addition, pay obeisance to the many small shrines devoted the protector deity of Thiksey, Cham-Sing and other guardian divinities of Buddhism.
- After sightseeing is done, mouthwatering breakfast awaits at the camp. Rest of the morning is free of plans and you can spend enjoying the tranquility of the campsite.
- Post a sumptuous lunch at the campsite, proceed to explore the Hemis Monastery. Following the Drukpa School or the Dragon Order of Tibetan Buddhism, the Hemis Monastery is the biggest monastic institution of Ladakh. About 23 kilometers (45 mins) from Thiksey, the ancient monastery is built in a secluded valley. Dating to the 17th century under the patronage of King Senge Namygal the monastery is not just a place of worship. It functioned as a school for centuries for the young lamas instructing them in subjects of literature, history, philosophy, yoga and tantra. Treasuring beautiful statues and mural paintings, the monastery halls are also interesting to explore.
- After a day of fulfilling sightseeing, return to the campsite for overnight stay
Begin the day with a hearty breakfast. Later, start with the next leg of the holiday. Drive through Ladakh’s dramatic landscapes that are truly a visual treat. Pass through Khardung La Pass (5570 m / 18,381 ft.), also known to be among the highest motorable roads in the world. On the road trip, enjoy the views of the lush Nubra Valley. The valley is quite unique as here you will forget you are present in Ladakh. Watch the fertile agricultural lands dotted with poplar and willow trees. Savor the packed lunch in the village of Khardung. Later, continue onwards. Pass by the famous sand dunes of Nubra and arrive at the village of Diskit.
- The Chamba camp at Diskit is nothing short of bliss. It is a delightful oasis to soothe your senses after the high on adventure drive. The campsites is well-furnished with every modern comfort that truly pampers all your senses. Besides the camp combines the thrill of safari.
- Complete your check in formalities and rest yourself. From your own private deck, breathe in serenity that the ‘land of high passes’ is so well known for. The peaceful water body reflects the high mountains and cloudless blue skies. Enjoy the timelessness as the mountain regale stories untold and wind whispers the tales of the popular Silk Route.
- Overnight stay in your luxury tents.
Following a sumptuous breakfast, drive to the picturesque village of Sumur. The charming beauty is located across the Shyok and Nubra rivers surrounded by lush greenery.
- For the day you have the option to drive towards Siachen Glacier route and then hike towards the hidden lake Yarab Tso, one among the high-altitude and sacred lakes in the Nubra Valley. Later, proceed towards the unexplored side of the region. Experience local life and participate in a special initiative by the Women’s Alliance of Nubra. This project brings together all the working women to indulge in activities like handicrafts, documentation of natural and oral history along with traditional performing arts. Experience the heart of Ladakhi culture as you witness the grit of the women surviving in these harsh conditions and keeping the heritage alive.
- Later, move on with a lovely drive through the farmlands of Sumur. Halt at a traditional local farm where you can partake in delectable homely lunch. Also, pay a visit to the house of the Kalon family for a glimpse of the rich legacy of heritage and culture of the region.
- In the evening, get ready to embark upon an adventurous ride. Pay a visit to the sand dunes of the Hunder, a unique cold desert. The camels found here unlike the ones of the Thar are double-humped and certainly double the thrill. As you explore the golden sands, feel transported back to the days when it was known for the legendary Silk Route when merchants, mercenaries and monks tested their luck and stamina in search of wonders.
- When the day comes to an end, get back to the hotel for overnight stay in the camp
Wake up at leisure enjoying the lavish pleasures of the campsite. Soak in the serenity of the campsite or chose an excursion to Turtuk. The charming village in Shyok Village falls on the legendary Silk Route and is inhabited by the shepherd community of Baltis. Walk through the apricot fields and enjoy the unexplored beauty. This is the last village on the Indo-Pakistan border also known as the gateway to the Siachen Glacier.
Stay the night in the camp
Start the day early. Avail the assisted drive to the Diskit Gompa. Hovering on a hill in the village of Diskit, the Gompa is considered to be the oldest and largest Buddhist monastery in the Nubra Valley. The Gompa follows Gelugpa (Yellow Hat) sect of Tibetan Buddhism and is also known as a sub-gompa of the Thiksey monastery. The revered deity is the statue of Cho Rinpoche “the crowned Buddha”. Walk through the prayer hall which houses treasures such as a huge drum and several images of fierce guardian deities. Nurturing roots with Tibet, the monastery has an elevated cupola that depict a fresco of Tibet’s Tashilhunpo monastery. Attend the special prayers held high up near the towering statue of the Maitreya Buddha.
- After divine blessings, get back to the camp for a hearty breakfast awaiting at the camps. Proceed with journey back to Leh Valley through picturesque landscape traversing through Wari – La (5,300 mtrs / 17,384 ft). The mountain pass is also known as the fourth highest motorable passes in Ladakh. On the way watch the shepherds graze their pashmina goats. Keep yourself armed with camera to capture the mesmerizing scenery you pass through. Spot the famous yaks grazing in the meadows along the streams.
- NOTE:If Wari-La is closed due to any reason, then the drive will be back through Khardung-La.
- Upon reaching the Leh Valley, check into the Chamba Camp, Thiksey. There are no further plans, you can chose to enjoy the scenic environs.
- Overnight stay in the Thiksey Camp.
After breakfast, bid adieu to the breath-taking Ladakh and proceed for onward journey
- Stay in camps in Thiksey and Diksit.
- Leisure walk to admire the wonderful scenic beauty.
- Sightseeing in Leh including Leh Palace and Shanti Stupa.
- Shopping at the local bazar of Leh.
- Visit to the popular monasteries of Ladakh- Thiksey and Hemis.
- Diskit Gompa and Chamba Gompa in Hunder village.
- Explore the wonderful hamlet of Turtuk.
- Explore the sand dunes of Nubra on a double-humped camel back.